Monday, March 8, 2010

Heart and 'Soul'

It’s a story not heard in the news but a story that should be told - the tremendous amount of good being done in Iraq by our American heroes who often come home in bags for their caring and commitment to our country and our culture. Those who come home as survivors carry their own burdens that you and I might never know (God willing) or understand… unless we read Elizabeth Kilbride’s book, Soul of American Warriors: A Writer’s Journey Comes Full Circle.

Author, Elizabeth Kilbride was raised in a loving military family and currently lives in DC. When offered the unique opportunity to go to Iraq as a citizen journalist - no boot camp, no military
status - to experience and chronicle the day-to-day movements and environments of our American soldier, she accepted without much thought. She did just what she went for and has written and [had] published just such a book. From the beginning ‘Soul of American Warriors’ captivated me, taking me through the rollercoaster of emotion, the preparations necessary for such a journey, the days, the nights, the feelings and unity of our soldiers at war. Not an avid reader myself, my 3 day read of Ms. Kilbride’s experiences flooded my heart and left my mind in awe of all she had done to bring this truth to us.

Ms. Kilbride (Betty) is a friend of mine on FB and I have to say, she is remarkable in many ways. Her frank and politically incorrect statuses keep me checking her page often and I see she has that affect on many others as well. While reading a thread on her page (which I rarely take time to do) I found that she is raising money toward the legal funding of the 3 Navy SEALs on trial for assaulting a known terrorist. Since I recently had Josh Irving on my radio show about this very subject, my curiosity was piqued. I sent her an email and continued searching her page for more information. What I found was that Betty is donating to the legal council of these brave, young SEALs, $4 (of her royalties) per book sold . Her plan is to make the government aware that America so strongly disapproves of this action against our military that they [we] are coming together in this way to see that these SEALs are either freed or funded. Incredible? There’s more! Betty has until April 1 to sell 100,000 books. Now I know a ‘God-thing’ when I know one and I offered my assistance immediately. Betty and I spoke on the phone this morning and my heart was touched by her humility and love for these men and women serving our country. My heart goes out to these young SEALs as they stand to be judged for doing what they have been trained to do.
Betty is willing to give up her pay - what are you willing to give? Can you buy 1, 2, 3… maybe 10 of these books for the sake of a SEAL? Give them as gifts. If you’re a teacher, give them to your students; if you’re a nurse share them with patients – if you’re an American, give it to a soldier as “thanks”. Selling 100,000 books in the next couple of weeks isn’t hard folks. Sarah Palin did it in just a day… how much more good will this purchase do?
Buy one and pass on this link on. This is one injustice we cannot let go by!! If you are a Vietnam Veterans, Patriot Guard Riders, Army, Marine Corps or politically minded individual it’s time to step up to the plate. Betty remembered you all in this one book.

Let’s send this thing viral so that these SEALs know you care. Say a prayer, click a button, make a purchase, HELP A SEAL… it’s so simple even a layman can do it! Come on America, time to make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment