Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Michael Berry speaks out about charges and video



Michael Berry, host of the Michael Berry Show in Houston on KTRH, has worked hard for and enjoyed the #1 Houston talk show spot year after year. His political rants are famous, his parodies are shared webwide and his legal & political lessons on air... well, they are my personal favorite, though I listen very rarely. He focuses on a variety of topics but lately on politics and the minimizing of the president. This stands to reason as that is what the buzz is worldwide.

A few days ago a friend came over and asked me "Have you heard about Michael Berry?" I was completely in the dark so he pointed me to my laptop and onto a video on channel 2 news that showed Mr. Berry go into a bar, buy a beer, go to the restroom and then leave. The footage by the 2 News team was of a man who claimed to have seen Mr. Berry back up into his car, leaving
damage to his vehicle, then circle around the bock twice, driving by the bar each time, after which they didn't see him again. They claimed they got the license plate from his vehicle and that they were sure when showed a picture by police and though they didn't know Mr. Berry's shows, that this was the man who hit the car in question. The story went on to tell how the bar was a gay bar and the video was left to your imagination. As I watched this event with shock, I found myself explaining to my friend that the event Mr. Berry was accused of, which was described as a "hit and run", was being blamed on him by those who claimed to be witnesses but it was all hearsay and that there was no video of the actual crime of hit and run. I explained also that perhaps he just went into a bar for a beer and found it to be a gay bar then relieved himself in the restroom and left. Perhaps he needed to relieve himself and so went into the nearest bar he could, bought something so that he's not just coming in for the facilities, then left... who knows? I've been in a gay bar (with other heterosexual friends) and that didn't make me gay, right? Maybe he just wanted to go somewhere that he knew he wouldn't be known or hit up for anything... who knows, right?

Still the video and the reporting of this story was clearly an attempt to smear, scar and bring into question the integrity (and sexual preference) of a very vocal and influential voice who daily reaches the hearts and minds of not only Texas, but nationwide audiences, as he substitutes from time to time for other radio hosts like Mark Levin.

I explained to my friend that evening, that I have, in years past, sat down to lunch with Mr. Berry who presented himself as a nice, gentlemanly, mildly flirtatious guy. I worked with him a couple or three months on advertising and exchanged phone calls toward that end, never considering that he had any tendency toward being gay but instead, spoke highly of his wife and child as well as a niece who was staying with them through college. Still, this "gay" tag was the buzz in many circles after this Channel 2News Houston report.

I didn't give much more thought to the topic but last night my husband came home and asked, "did he say anything about it today?" I asked "who?" He reponded "Michael Berry." I answered, "I don't listen to him. Sorry." This is a clear indication of the "inquiring minds" syndrome that has been caused by this shoddy reporting by Channel 2 News.

Today, as I got home from dropping off my son at school I heard the Michael Berry Show on my radio (which my husband sets every morning) and just in time to hear what many, including my husband, have been waiting for. Mr. Berry came out on air and finally vented about what has transpired and his thoughts on the matter as only Mr. Berry can do. I am thrilled to hear him state his case as plainly as he could and I think we all understand that he had to take care of the business end before he could tell his public what was happening. Mr. Berry was clear (in his own colorful way) that he did indeed go into a gay bar but that he is not gay anymore than going into a predominantly black bar makes him black. He went there to have a beer where nobody knows his name and where he would not be bothered. He went on to explain that he could not comment on the hit and run due to possible charges being brought in the future. It's all very simple, as these things usually are.


VIEW "MICHAEL BERRY RESPONDS"


Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't care much for the Michael Berry Show. I like the man, (I suppose) as a person but the show is often negative and wreaks of sensationalism and pandering. In my very humble opinion, he could do more and better with the audience he commands. Still, I realize that his job is to work ratings for pay and he's very good at it, as his show ratings and #1 status display. Who am I but a lowly, sometimes listener? I'm certainly not in a position to judge. What is ever clear, though, and to be greatly respected, is that Mr. Berry's team and his following are loyal and large and he is to be commended for being such a fearless leader. In the end of this story we come away with the truth as it really is. We now have the knowledge and certainty of where the News2Houston team stands in this fight for truth and triumph over our government totalitarianism. Now we can clearly see that they are simply working for the same things- ratings and following - at the risk of using others as a step up whenever they can bring someone down. As Mr. Berry said on air this morning, there has not been an incident like this ever paid as much attention to. It was a fender bender. A man in a gay bar backed into another car in the parking lot then left the scene. Sensational? Not really. Not unless that man can bring you ratings and a following. And so it is in the public eye. Welcome to your new world of news and entertainment, Houston. It has now hit home. Truth be told, it was here all along, you only just got a slap in the face with it.


NEWS 2 HOUSTON VIDEO

2 comments:

  1. I didn't hear him comment on it this morning, but no, I never believed for a second he was in there because he was looking for hot gay man action. If anything, this should give those who claim he's homophobic pause, because clearly he isn't scared of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Rhonda!
    I just think it's a clear tactic that is used by those sinking to grab the largest flotation device to the right and use it to keep their heads up. It will backfire on Channel 2, I'd bet. The Berry Brigade is vast and loyal, which they should have considered before such a stupid, unworthy report.

    ReplyDelete